Over time, your car’s headlights will be exposed to a number of things like, dirt, grime, insects, and the elements. These things work together to tarnish the plastic headlight covers, and heavily reduce your visibility while driving. Keep yourself safe, and your headlights shining with these tips!
- When is the last time you changed your lightbulbs? Depending on the type of lightbulb your car uses, they usually need to be changed every year or so.
- Give your headlights a wash with soap and warm water. This will remove any surface dirt and grime, and give you a look at any deeper abrasion.
- If you notice your headlights are still hazy you can try some DIY restoring with toothpaste, an old rag, and some water. Rub the headlights in a small circular motion with the rag and toothpaste, then rinse with warm water. This will clear any minimal scuffing.
- Still hazy? It might be time to head to your local auto store to pick up some cleaning and polishing compounds. For really bad scuffing, there are kits available which come with a cleaning solution and various grit sandpaper.
- After getting your headlights bright and shiny again, keep them clean with a UV sealant. Apply the sealant a few times a year to keep your headlights protected.